Paid Commissions for Calderdale Artists
Apply for a funded place on IOU's Artist Development Space | Time | Tools | Advice programme
IOU is delighted to announce an open call for Calderdale based artists of any art form, to produce a project as part of IOU’s Artist Development Space | Time | Tools | Advice (STTA) programme to be presented during Calderdale’s Year of Culture 2024.
Up to 6 individual commissions, funded by Calderdale Council, are available, between £1,000-£4,000, plus the opportunity for your work to be presented by IOU as part of the regions Year of Culture.
STTA is IOU’s artist development programme for freelance individuals, groups or small organisations practicing any discipline who are interested in IOU’s approach to making. It is designed to help realise projects that are in development by providing support in the form of studio space, IOU staff time, workshop tools, advice from IOU arts professionals or a combination of all four.
Funded applications are open to artists in Calderdale working in any art form, such as sculpture, music, theatre, digital, painting, dance etc. We ask that you demonstrate an interest in, and be inspired by, IOU’s interdisciplinary methodology and reflect this in your project.
To be successful you will have a new original project prepared or an idea, that with funding and studio time, can be developed into a piece to present at Calderdale’s Year of Culture 2024.
- Funding – between £1,000 – £4,000
- Opportunity to develop a multi-form project or make artwork
- Opportunity to present this work as part of Calderdale’s Year of Culture 2024
- Opportunity to promote your practice and project through IOU communications
- Pre-arranged studio space at IOU’s Creation Centre, Dean Clough
- Use of in-house technical team
- Use of in-house artistic team
- Open to artists of all media and at all stages of their career
- We are keen to support underrepresented artists from all diverse backgrounds
- Experience of making work within your creative art medium
- Ability to collaborate with others and the IOU team
- Ability to be open and enthusiastic to working in new and varied ways
- Project should demonstrate an interest in, and be inspired by, IOU’s interdisciplinary methodology and be reflected in your project.
- Applicant must be a Calderdale resident -If applying as a collective at least one of the collective should reside within Calderdale.
Recent STTA artists working in the IOU Creation Centre
How to apply
Please complete the application form below, including a proposal of up to approximately 1000 words (equivalent to 2 sides of A4) or a 2-3 minute video or audio recording that outlines:
- The name/title of the project
- A short description of the project.
- A description of your practice/artform/medium that you work in and what art forms will be used within the project
- How do audiences experience the work?
- If known audience capacity per show or exhibition or presentation
- Is it an indoor or outdoor piece?
- Why you want to work with IOU?
- A short description of the project/production/artwork for a marketing purposes if you have it.
- Links to your work /and social media
You must also provide a budget breakdown with your proposal, budgets can be uploaded as a pdf, excel or word doc and must detail the following:
- Artist fees
- Production costs including technology
- Presentation and exhibition costs
- Marketing & interpretation costs ( if relevant)
- H&S and insurance ( if relevant)
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to the IOU studio for an initial interview.
- June 2nd 2023 -Open Call Announced
- July 11th- Applications Deadline
- July 17th – Shortlist Confirmed
- W/C July 24th &W/C July 31st Interviews at IOU
- October 2023 – June 2024 Commissions and projects presented
This is an open call to all artists from all backgrounds. We encourage those from underrepresented backgrounds apply so a range of artists from Calderdale are reflected in the programme.
If you have any access needs, please contact Lydia.Murray@ioutheatre.org and IOU will adjust working conditions to suit candidates’ needs.
IOU Theatre's belief in our vision and commitment to supporting emerging artists like us made a significant impact on the development of our piece. Their contribution went beyond the physical spaces and extended to the invaluable mentorship, feedback, and encouragement they provided throughout the creative process. Their guidance ensured that we stayed true to our artistic intentions while pushing ourselves to new artistic heights.Sound Designer Helios Lyons
We are immensely grateful for IOU Theatre's support in bringing our project to life. Without their belief in our work and the opportunity they provided, "Instructions on How to Be Alone" would not have evolved into the transformative and captivating experience we envisioned. IOU Theatre's partnership has been invaluable, and we look forward to further collaboration and growth in the future.Creative Producer Emily Lloyd
' The Space was amazing - a great setting for a workshop.'Participant