Fulcrum – IOU Studio
A stop-motion animation film made in real time using robotics, technology, and intricately carved miniature sculptures.
Fulcrum included elements of film, sculpture, animation, performance, and kinetic dioramas to create an installation which was accompanied by a mechanically played electric guitar.
In a darkened room, a large array of carved wooden scenes depicted small town life. In the middle of the scenes, a video camera on the end of a long robotic arm zoomed in and out of the mechanically animated wooden scenes. In a second space, a small cinema enabled visitors to enter and see the little scenes of robotic machines which function the installation, whilst the video was projected live onto a big screen. The non-stop-motion animation film created in real time by the camera featured a wooden woman on a train journey through northern moors and towns. The installation was enjoyed by all ages and toured parts of the UK in museums and studios in Manchester and Yorkshire.
"Very atmospheric, sets the imagination and memories whirring."Audience Member, Fulcrum
Fulcrum toured at:
- Junction, Goole, 19/09/2013 – 21/09/2013
- IOU Studio, Dean Clough Mills, 25/01/2014 – 22/02/2014
- The Civic, Barnsley, 02/07/2014 – 06/07/2014
- New Picture House, Dewsbury, 25/03/2015 – 28/03/2015
- Z-arts, Manchester, 23/06/2015 – 28/06/2015
- 20-21 Visual Arts Centre, Scunthorpe, 26/09/2015 – 03/10/2015